The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Giving blood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Who Really Cares? by Arthur Brooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleeding_heart

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Giving blood Reply with quote

Gay men cannot give blood. Most gay men are "liberals". The government is currently managed by "conservaties". Therefore "liberals" are being blamed for not giving blood when "conservatives" have made it illegal for them to do so.

I haven't read the book yet, but I'd be interested if he's addressed this issue.
Prince_of_Thrift

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Giving blood Reply with quote

bleeding_heart wrote:
Gay men cannot give blood. Most gay men are "liberals". The government is currently managed by "conservaties". Therefore "liberals" are being blamed for not giving blood when "conservatives" have made it illegal for them to do so.

I haven't read the book yet, but I'd be interested if he's addressed this issue.

illegal? since when? only if they have a disease (like aids/hiv). do you have a disease and trying to make it a straw man?
josh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um. "Illegal" might have been overstating it, but the American Red Cross does ask, every time, whether you have had sex with another man since 1979 or so. I've never answered "yes", since I haven't, but I would not be surprised if they decline to take your blood donation if you do say yes.

Josh
LooDee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of blood donation; I have not read Mr. Brooks' book, but I can't help but wonder how he came to the conclusion that conservatives give more blood than liberals. Blood banks do not collect that kind of data (my husband works for one!), so I must conclude that his information is self-reported... notoriously inaccurate. I also strongly object to his characterization of "secular liberals" vs. "religious conservatives" (especially the "vs." part). My husband and I are active members of a very liberal religious community. We give blood, volunteer untold hours to the synagogue, area schools and community, contribute to a plethora of causes, and both work somewhat "under" our economic abilities, in the interest of serving our fellow travelers. Compare religious community to religious community, or secular to secular. Unaffiliated people would not have the same opportunities to tithe (or pay temple dues). I agree with a previous poster that clergy salaries and building maintenance, while critical to the health of a congregation, hardly fall in the same category as disaster relief or food pantries. Deductible? Yes. Humanitarian? Hmmm...
liberal4ever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might also want to look at health differences for conservatives and liberals.

I'm a liberal, but my bp is too high to give blood, they won't let you do so if your blood pressure is higher than a certain level.
Sapwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Giving blood Reply with quote

bleeding_heart wrote:

That's ridiculous! Even my gay uncle would laugh at that one.

The government is managed by "conservatives"? What planet are you on?

Trust me, they wouldn't give that much blood anyway. By the way, who took care of my other uncle who dies of AIDS, my sister and my mother who are both...brace yourself...religious!

Just try ... please try to focus on others for even just one minute. You cannot believe how liberating it is.

Brooks is right on when he says in his book that the true benefit is to the giver. That part of the book is certainly right on.
Sapwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh wrote:
Um. "Illegal" might have been overstating it, but the American Red Cross does ask, every time, whether you have had sex with another man since 1979 or so. I've never answered "yes", since I haven't, but I would not be surprised if they decline to take your blood donation if you do say yes.

Josh

They are simply trying to make sure the blood is safe that's all. AIDS can be transferred through homosexual activity, and the average number of sexual partners tends to be noticeably higher among homosexual-practicing men.
Sapwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LooDee wrote:
On the subject of blood donation; I have not read Mr. Brooks' book, but I can't help but wonder how he came to the conclusion that conservatives give more blood than liberals. Blood banks do not collect that kind of data (my husband works for one!), so I must conclude that his information is self-reported... notoriously inaccurate. I also strongly object to his characterization of "secular liberals" vs. "religious conservatives" (especially the "vs." part). My husband and I are active members of a very liberal religious community. We give blood, volunteer untold hours to the synagogue, area schools and community, contribute to a plethora of causes, and both work somewhat "under" our economic abilities, in the interest of serving our fellow travelers. Compare religious community to religious community, or secular to secular. Unaffiliated people would not have the same opportunities to tithe (or pay temple dues). I agree with a previous poster that clergy salaries and building maintenance, while critical to the health of a congregation, hardly fall in the same category as disaster relief or food pantries. Deductible? Yes. Humanitarian? Hmmm...

You validate his conclusions though. You are a religious person, so it is understandable that you would give a higher % of your wealth to others.

By the way, those payments for building upkeep, etc. are gifts too because they are going voluntarily to others, just like if the payments went to St. Vincent de Paul or other organizations that deal with emergency aid for the poor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Who Really Cares? by Arthur Brooks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: