The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fellowship Winner!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colleen

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Fellowship Winner! Reply with quote

Howdy folks....

Well, after sifting through over 500 applications, I'm dying to get on the next plane leaving the US of A. Man, we read proposals for everything from observing penguins off the coast of South Africa, to launching new radio stations in Brazil. Like last year, I'm both amazed and psyched to see that "delaying the real world" is alive and well.

This year's fellowship was awarded to Daniela Papi, a remarkable woman who has turned her post-college adventures into a career, leading bike tours in Cambodia and volunteering as she rides. Daniela will use the DTRW Fellowship to return to Cambodia for another year to lead PEPY Bike Tours and to develop her organization's outreach in Cambodian schools.

We loved a lot of things about Daniela's application, but one thing that caught our attention in particular was her commitment to living, working, and volunteering in Cambodia for the long-run. She shared, "I took last year off to do this, thinking it would be my "year to delay the real world" and give back, my one year of spending all my savings. Well, it has grown and taken over my life fully and, there is no way the "real world" is getting me back any time soon."

We're thrilled to stand behind Daniela and her organization, PEPY Bike Tours, and a few of us on the fellowship committee (cough, me) are thinking of going on one of these bike rides. Daniela: hold a place for me on the August trip! If the stars and bank account numbers align, perhaps I can join you.

For now, I'm trading my less-than-exotic lifestyle here in Iowa City for a summer trip to Cuba. The University of Iowa was kind enough to fund a month of thesis research, and I'm thrilled to get back to my muse: El pueblo cubano.

Thanks to everyone who has visited the message boards and shared their reactions to the book, and announced their adventure plans. It's always cool to hear from folks that are taking risks and following their passions.

Best wishes,
Colleen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: