The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RE: The epiphanies of post BA life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breathe321

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: RE: The epiphanies of post BA life Reply with quote

The writing is in this book is wonderful. The only thing I don't like is the title of the book. The real world is everywhere. It's the US, academia, business, bla bla

I lived with a French family for 6 weeks after freshman year and visited a few other countries in Europe during that trip. I did some traveling around the east coast during sophomore year and went to Seattle for 5 days. At the time, there were a lot of people there protesting the WTO. I was interested in the event and learned alot about economics from the conferences and talking to people there, but mostly I was just so excited in the mecca of grunge music and the beautiful Pacific NW. Climbed Mt. Rainier one day.

I got a BA from SUNY Binghamton and an MA in Political Science from the University at Buffalo. My last year in Buffalo, I was a research assistant for Claude Welch for his book on poverty in the US and Canada--

http://www.upenn.edu/pennpress/book/toc/14249.html

I helped him collect the data and literature. We spent a lot of time talking about life in both the Buffalo and NYC areas. (I grew up on Long Island). I posted data on a website he provided the web address to the contributing authors but I don't if they used the data.

I was also a research assistant for a professor at Roswell Park Cancer Institute who wanted to collect data on preventing teens from smoking. Both research jobs were very rewarding.

Now I work in the IT industry--aka, the real world. The most important thing I've learned is that grad school really did prepare me for the real world. It taught professionalism. At my job, it means being a leader and setting up infrastructure to make the business run more efficiently.

I'm sure I'm going keep on having fun now and past my twenties. Hope you do too.

Cheers and bravo!

Allie
breathe321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Who is going to see Pearl Jam in New Jersey? Reply with quote

Subject: The plan...

Call me when you get home. Don't worry, everything will be fine.
breathe321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: someone took down the orginal post Reply with quote

So I posted it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: