The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs for American in Ireland or Scotland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ands

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Jobs for American in Ireland or Scotland? Reply with quote

Hello!

Anyone have a suggestion on finding jobs in Ireland or Scotland? I'm no longer a student, I don't have any Irish grandparents(for the whole citizenship route), and I'm not picky. Even just knowing what others have done or others' friends' friends would be mighty helpful.

Thanks
Christine the Bean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was browsing the web and found a program that I think is called work ireland. you can work for up to 4 months in ireland and they help you find a job and get a work visa. Just do a google search for "work ireland", it's probably the first link that pops up.

Hope that helps!

good luck,
Christine
MLtheSprite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would NOT recommend WORK IN IRELAND unless you are open to "temping" or have some restaurant or cafe work experience.

I lived in Dublin for a little over 2 months, but with NO work, that city got expensive very, very quickly, and I had to leave early. Most of my time in Dublin was spent searching for a job.

BUNAC, however, does Scotland, and everyone I've heard from who went to Edinburgh had a BLAST! I did BUNAC in the UK, and I worked and lived in London. In my experience, this program was MUCH, MUCH better organized than the Work in Ireland program. BUNAC UK had liasons with the community, housing posted in the office, jobs posted in the office, a jobs folder, etc. This program also had a tie with one branch of the National Westminster Bank, which meant that it was much easier for BUNAC participants to open bank accounts.

Work in Ireland's only job postings were from temporary agencies that rip you off and send you all over town, or maybe get you 2 days of work per week. There were NO housing postings. There was NO liason with the bank, and since I had no job, I could not open a bank account. My trip was a learning experience, but one that put me about $2000 in debt.

My advice: choose Scotland! Smile
MLtheSprite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to mention: with no bank account at an Irish bank, I could not cash cheques from the temporary agencies, which meant that even with 2 days of work per week, I still couldn't access my income.

Yet another reason why I would NOT recommend the Work in Ireland program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: