The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cheap flights/hostels New Zealand????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReallyFunRachel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: cheap flights/hostels New Zealand???? Reply with quote

I'm doing a NOLS semester in New Zealand starting in October. But I'd like to leave in September and travel first!!! Since the NOLS course is only on the south island, I want to go to the north island, Australia, and Fiji too. Any ideas for cheap flights?!? I'll need to fly out of Atlanta and eventually end up at Christchurch for the program. Ideally though, I'd find a cheap ticket that also gave me cheap flights to the other places! Advice please!!! Smile Still in college and spending what little money I have to do NOLS, so I'll be on a really really tight budget! Also, how do I find super cheap hostels over there???
kml636

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: NOLS Reply with quote

Hey Rachel-

I am so jealous! You are going to have the TIME OF YOUR LIFE on NOLS!!! I have had some luck with cheap airfare at www.airgorilla.com, other than that I would just keep an eye out on the Quantas website, right now I think they have a $800 special to NZ.
________
ARIZONA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by kml636 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReallyFunRachel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm send off! Any other words of wisdom from a NOLS graduate? Especially on how I should prepare physically for it. I've been working out and running, but am nervous about backpacking with such heavy loads. How do you recommond training for that? What trip did you do, and how did NOLS help you in life?
caveman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: training Reply with quote

Rachel,
I haven't been on NOLS, hope to be, but I have worked at Philmont Scout Ranch. It is a 200 square mile backpacking camp in the New Mexico mountains. I've backpacked there on 2 10 day treks with a pack weighing as much as 60lbs and hitting elevations of over 10,000ft, as well as my own personal side hikes. My best advice for you is to continue working out, but to start going on hikes with your pack and your boots. Start with low weight and work your way up. Oh, and definetly try to use the same pack you will be taking with you. If this means buying it warlier than you thought then do it. The only way to get prepared for backpacking is to just. You might think you look weird walking around the city but at least you'll know why you're doing it. Oh and if someone asks, you have a cool reason to tell them. Hope this helps.
-Cameron
ctedgewater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: cheap hostel (NICE!) in auckland... Reply with quote

do a search for verandahs, they have a site somewhere, or phone them when you get here 09 360 4180

save yourself the hassle of a lot of shite hostels in aucks. i stayed here. very clean, nice owner, safe neighborhood, by a GORGEOUS park. well worth it. many different types of rooms. highly recommend. if you need anything else, hit me up on msn i would be glad to help you!

cheers and good luck,

chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: