The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John: "Are you okay?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Come Together @ Lennon Revealed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PennyandMe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: John: "Are you okay?" Reply with quote

Hey, Larry! I am so thrilled to begin reading your new book. I have a particular question regarding the time that you spent with John. For some reason, I have always been fascinated with how people reveal their concern and sympathy to one another. John seemed to be a rather sensitive, caring, understanding man when he did not have his guard up. From your memories and experience with John, do you happen to recall any moments that he was especially sweet to you or to someone else that you’ve witnessed?

I’ve always loved when someone will ask, “Are you okay?” or, “What’s the manner?” or anything similar to those words. If you could share anything like this, I would love to hear about it. Thank you.

~Carolyn
Author - Larry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was always sensitive. After arguing with me, he would always ask--are you all right man?
Author - Larry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mom had died in 1964 and I was quite upset.

John knew about that. That is how "are you okay?" began.

He was a thoughtful person in one on one relationships.

Larry
PennyandMe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate that you responded to that, Larry. I’ve actually heard from a lot of different people who knew John how kind he was in that regard, in one form or another. It seems strange that he could be so crude and hurtful to people verbally, yet he would somehow allow himself to open up and be a “softie.”

I can only imagine what it would have been like to know him. I somehow see a great deal of his sensitivity reflecting in his eyes and facial expressions.
vince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry my name is vince I am 40. I was a sophmore in highschool when John was killed. I have an appreciation of how John must have felt turning 40. His optimistic outlook is basically how I feel now too. I recently read your book and it's a wonderfully nice read with some great insights. I first found out you actaully knew John Lennon the day after he died. I watched all news broadcast and was surprised to learn you covered the Beatles early on and that you developed a friendship with John. Surprised becasue I knew of you and my parents wathced you on the the news everyday and I love John and I just never heard you even mention him. I was only 10 when he was in Philadelphia at the radiothon. I really became a huge Beatle fan when I was 11 or 12 so i just missed him. I progressed into a John fan. I first listened to nothing but early Beatles then went to later stuff then to John's solo stuff and I was hooked. I felt I got to know him by reading articles, seeing a Hard Days Night and listening to interviews and of course his great music. I wish I could have met him. I wish I could have seen him perform. Double Fantasy was the first album I ever bought that was a new release. all the others were realeased years ago. I remember feeling so happy because this was really like a new beginning. I was starting out new with John and I couldn't wait to see him in concert. I apologize for rambling on but I have to say this. I still to this day remember the telecast you gave a tribute to John a day after he died. I had not cried at all but you played music maybe GOD/The Dream is Over and when you flashed a picture of John as a child up on the screen I ran to my room and cried. I was upset when I heard John was killed that is an understatement because when I first heard he was killed I thought about the fact that I would never see him sing songs live, I would never hear another new Lennon song. I would never see the Beatles reunite. I cried because I thought what have we done as a society? This man was a husband, a father a man who gave so much to so many through his music. How dare I think about all the selfish reasons! I wept because I thought of Yoko, Sean and his close friends. I wept becasue I felt horrible for having selfish thoughts. I stopped listening to Lennon music and Beatle music for about 3 years. I just couldn't do it. Finally I started over so to speak and did early Beatles and I was hooked again. Today I have 2 kids and lovely wife of 15 years. Both my kids like the Bealtes and John. At least a few times a week she would like it to happen more I sing In My Life to my daughter before she goes to bed at night. It is her favorite song. Thanks Larry for sharing specail moments in your book. Thanks John I never met you but I do love you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Come Together @ Lennon Revealed All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: