The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what are your thoughts about the book?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Come Together @ Lennon Revealed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Kane: Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: So what are your thoughts about the book? Reply with quote

Welcome to the website, which I think is fantastic!

The book appears to be doing very well. I hope this forum gives you the opportunity to frankly admit your views on the book, the style and the life of John Lennon.

Let's interact, frankly and Idea with lots of great ideas.

I'm ready. Are You?
JoeNobles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Meeting you Reply with quote

Hi Larry,
Meeting with you today at Barns and Noble was a pleasant suprise, I was taken by the question "How are you doing now?" when you learned of my loss as a little boy, at first I didn't realize the nature of your question but when I got home I went to the Lennon Revealed web page and read your preface on-line. Many times to this day the "ripples" of my Dad's death are still felt, I now know that you too had the experience of loosing a parent when you were young, your sensintivity is welcome. Knowing, something that many do not, namly the effect this kind of thing has must have given you a take to see John, as well as Paul, in the light of living with similar losses. I know healing comes and indeed has for most who have these tragedies, like John we may at times fall prey to our psyches. On John's Milk and Honey album he talks about how it's good to be older and he was so right because so much of life lived means that so many battles have been fought and won, and that you can be content just because you got to be older and this is the most recent gem that John gave me from his treasures.

Thank you.
Joe Nobles
Pennsauken NJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
Again, a fascinating read! Thank you for all the interviews, the books and support of Beatles-A-Rama!!! in the past...and to this day!

Pat Matthews
www.beatlesarama.com
Philly Fellow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Envy into Gratitude, plus a ? Reply with quote

Dear Larry,
I'd be jealous of your close and prolonged encounters with John Lennon and the rest of the Beatles. But by sharing your experiences through this book (and the earlier Ticket to Ride) you've melted that envy into gratitude. These books offer precious insights and anectdotes about John, another guy we could never bring ourselves to be jealous of because of all he gave back. Thank you so much. Hope you'll offer a third installment.
P.S. The book really flows well, with entertaining prose and seamless transitions -- seems to be a marked improvement in that area over Ticket to Ride. Who's the editor?
donner1992

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Yoko Ono was NOT influential in Lennon's music Reply with quote

In his book, Larry Kane states that Yoko Ono was the driving force in John Lennon's genius and music. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most of Lennon's greatest works were done during the early to mid sixties, and these he accomplished with Paul McCartney. Either Kane is attempting to re-write history or inject an overdose of PC. It places the entire manuscript under suspicion for truth and accuracy. [/i]
timbr88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Say no to drugs Reply with quote

Larry,
The book is fantastic and warms the heart of this Beatle fan from Chicago. Thank you for writing it.
I have always felt that if it wasn't for John's drug abuse and insecurities that Paul and George in particular would not have lashed out about Yoko. I believe they were trying to help John not hurt him. Mixing business with pleasure by bringing her into Beatle functions was, I think, way out of line. Love John but I agree with George and Paul about that. It was however the start of something new for all of them. To each his own.
I would like to read a book about what the Beatles where thinking of during the actual writing of, and recording of, their songs. Not enough is written about what made them famous, the actual playing of their instruments and how they learned how to sing so well together.
I peace, Tim

p.s. on page 188, the lyrics to "Too Many People", the words "hundred people" are actually "hungry people".
imagine71@peoplepc.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Lennon Revealed Reply with quote

Larry Kane picked up where he left off in Ticket to Ride with lennon Revealed except much more focused on John. As many books as I have read on the Beatles and John, this book felt more personal and up close as a result of Larry's having a close relationship with John. I enjoyed the book immensely except for the end because after 25 years it's still difficult to accept how that chapter ended. Great book...great DVD, especially the interview with John and Paul. DVD could have been enhanced if there was footage of John working the crowd at Larry's station in Philadelphia. Great mystery solved about John and Brian!
Author - Larry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Donner1992--

First of all, thanks for your comment. I disagree sharply, and I have to tell you that your assumption is painted with a broad brush and misinterpreted.

First of all, no such assumption is made. But Yoko was instrumental in motivating John to get serious about his work.

As far as Yoko: She is a polarizing figure. People who despise her think you are not tough enough. People who love her think that you are too tough.

So your response does not surprise me.

But I appreciate it.

Take care,
Larry
Author - Larry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the comments.

I am very serious about objectivity in this book, which I believe is the first non-biased look at John's life. Everybody has an agenda, but I have none.

What surprises me about the reaction is that I expected more fireworks from readers, like Donner. But that's what writing is all about, hoping that the reader is motivated to agree or disagree, to join in the debate.

Frankly, I seek all kinds of input.

That will make me a better reporter and writer.

So thanks to all of you for the input.

And enjoy the weekend.

In case you're in the LA area, I'll be at Barnes & Noble in Encino Monday night and Book Soup in West Hollywood Tuesday night at 7:30PM.

Hope to see you there.

Larry
billyshears55

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got the book this past week.....i want to personally thank mr kane for including my thoughts of lennon in this wonderful new book...i have read ticket to ride twice and always go back to it when i want to relive the great era of the sixties......i was one of the lucky ones who were at shea stadium in 1965 to see the beatles....i was 15......after seeing my thoughts about that fateful day in dec 1980 i actually felt emotional....the beatles to me were the soundtrack to my life and after reading ticket to ride it provoked some fond memories of the 60's and now that larry has included my letter about the tragedy it has come full circle.....thank you mr kane for your thoughtfullness
Danielle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Copy editors at Running Press Reply with quote

Dear Larry,
I just finished Revealed last night. I was thorougly impressed with the content and the real, honest way you approached writing about someone you loved. Authors/journalists who are willing to look at the not-so-nice side of people they love and understand that it makes them real, authentic, and genuine, are few and far between. Anyway, thanks for an honest and thrilling time with John. I felt like I got to know him through your experiences and research. This makes your book not only well-written, but interesting and engaging!! I was at BeatlesFest in Nashville, TN, and immensely enjoyed your presentation.
BUT! Who the crap is your copy editor? It was seriously distracting, the way human being was "human bring" and other silly mistakes. Misplaced words and similar mistakes abound! I know there's nothing you can do about it now, and I do not think it affects the integrity of the piece as a whole, but it kind of annoys the conscientious reader. You may want to be extra-diligent with your editors next time, making sure they're getting everything right in the galleys, or whatever.
Also, I thought the way you had Lennon lovers contribute to your book was beautiful and something John would have loved and laughed about. But I also think it would have been okay to do a little bit of editing there, as well,maybe double checking for spelling/grammatical mistakes. I know I would appreciate a little editing when my writing is going into such a great book like yours! Perhaps these things have already been brought to your attention, and in that case, ignore all the critique and soak up the fact that I am seriously recommending your book to everyone I meet!
So, I just loved the book and I am looking forward to your next endeavor, Beatlesesque, Lennonish, or not.
author

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I really appreciate your thoughts, especially the critical ones reference to the editing.

The editor is fantastic I think that one of the problems was the final proofreading/ Perhaps we were too rushed.

But I will tell you this: a writer cannot get better until he or she is willing to look beyond the piece of work and realize when things are wrong.

I think your critique is right on, and I appreciate it

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I am an English major from a Philadelphia liberal arts college (La Salle U.) and really, I believe that post about errors in your great book "abounding" are way out of line. I have read many books and novels and your newest book could hardly be considered error laden. Best to you Larry.
author

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very kind-thanks for reading the book

Larry
Chris from NJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Larry, great book. First book I finished in years! Reply with quote

Larry, I loved the Lennon Revealed book. It's the first book I picked up and finished in years! I think I'm getting back on the ball of reading again! Good work! And the DVD was great! I loved watching John and Paul, and John again!

Great book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Come Together @ Lennon Revealed All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: