The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone a few years out?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitter

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Anyone a few years out? Reply with quote

Hi, I am 25 and am just now realizing that I want to delay the real world (or maybe escape it)...when reading the book, I was really inspired but felt like I was too late or had missed the boat! Anyone have any good tales of making the decision to jump ship and get cruising a few years after college?
colleen - author

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey hitter.

i have to say, one of the things that suprised me most during my book tour was how many mid-twentysomethings i met that were committed to picking up and going overseas after a few years in the workforce. there are definitely advantages to doing it that way....perhaps you have more savings to travel well, and a more solid idea of what you want to see and what you want to get out of it.

regardless, it's certainly never too late to flee the cubicle....and you are DEFINITELY not alone!

best wishes,
colleen

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: It's never too late! Reply with quote

Hey, I hear you... It's a little more difficult, but you can still do it!

Obviously, we no longer qualify for the fellowships, etc that only apply to college seniors. And, we probably have groomed ourselves for a life with more bills, and responsibilites than someone straight out of college. And then there is what everyone thinks of you... Not that I care about it, but I find people are generally not understanding and harsher about my "Delaying" dreams the older I get!

However, we are at a slight advantage in that we do have some work experience we can fall back on later. So, you have nothing to lose! It is more important mid 20's than ever. I am very close to making my second escape reality! So, I say go for it, the details will work themselves out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're posting made me laugh! I'm in exactly the same boat you are.....about to turn 25, bored at my job, and looking to travel. I actually feel a lot better about wanting to 'delay the real world' now. I've had a few years to adjust to life after college and save money. My problem is finding someone who wants to travel with me! I'd like to have a travel buddy, and so far none of my friends are ready to jump aboard.

Sarah
travelbridge1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: to sarah Reply with quote

where and what are you considering in ur travels?
you can reply im through travelbridge
Delaying close to 30

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Anyone a few years out? Reply with quote

Hey, I am one of the oldest.. I am getting close to my 30th birthday and have been very focused into following the "perfect good career path" until now. It is true what Guest said, you have the advantage of having some security. I have my own place and i have some savings, on the other side, I dont get any of the rail passes discounts made for below 26 yo and saying "i am a student" does not sound really real anymore... But, I know I am done with the cubicle life for now. Am travelling for the next 4 months starting july and yes, although you always going to hear a little voice saying you would do better staying and saving, the truth is, the best you can do in your life is to achieve your potential and i realize most of us stuck in cubicles cant really do that. It just goes contrary to creativity, to freedom, to everything of good life has to offer, doesnt matter how interesting the job is. So, if in doubt, the best solution is really this: travel, find yourself, find out who you are, what do you want and when you are ready, invest all you have on something that is worth it! your passion, your career. The rest comes along. hope that helps you decide. Best,
F.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guest, I really liked your advice to "travel, find yourself, find out who you are, what do you want and when you are ready, invest all you have on something that is worth it! your passion, your career." I'm in the same boat....about to turn 25 and trying to decide between grad school and traveling. It's hard to give up job security and money. I feel like I should (logically) go to grad school but I'm not sure where or what program STILL! My heart would like to travel and explore. Where are your travels to?
Melissa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: I did both! Reply with quote

I managed to not only delay the real world but be in it enough to pay the bills and get experience for later! I started teaching immediately after I graduated college at 20. A couple of years later I decided to start my Master's through the University of Northern Iowa's UNISSIST program, which was all done overseas. I taught during the school year and spent my summers living abroad. I also took students on trips to different exotic locales during the school year to cure my wanderlust. It was a great happy medium, having a successful career that allowed me the financial freedom and time to do the traveling I wanted to do. This year, I decided to bite the bullet and go back to school full-time to get my Ph.D. Who says 27 is too old to be living on campus again? As long as I don't have to have a roommate! Laughing
Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Keeping the Cubicle at Bay Reply with quote

Check out this opportunity: SIT (School for International Training), under the direction of new president, Carol Bellamy (former director of UNICEF), and in collaboration with Sarvodaya (the largest NGO in Sri Lanka) is offering a 12 month Masters Degree Program in Sustainable Development to be offered in Sri Lanka beginning in January 2006 as a response to the need for quality manager development. SIT is encouraging NGO's,organizations and corporations with national and international presence to consider this program as a development benefit for their mid-level career employees and members. Check out the website at www.sit.edu/srilanka
Talk about a way to keep the cubicle at bay!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool This group is definitely who I have been looking for.! I know you guys think you are older but many have your degrees. I've transferred schools and also had to sit for a while so I am currently a senior business admin major at age 25. When I finally graduate I will be 26......so marriage and kids maybe coming soon. So I want to get my fun in.....say....NOW! Anyway, I want to study fashion overseas in such a terrible way. But like you guys, I don't know what avenue to take. I want to find connections to some types of internships, volunteer opportunities, co-ops, ANYTHING! I am so open to an adventure. I've never been out of the country and I feel there is a world out there waiting for me. (That's so corny!) But it's really how I feel. I want to lay the groundwork for a great career and the chance to meet new people. Financing is an issue as well. If there's anyone out there with information on Business and/or Fashion related opportunities, don't hesitate to respond. Good Luck to everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Cool This group is definitely who I have been looking for.! I know you guys think you are older but many have your degrees. I've transferred schools and also had to sit for a while so I am currently a senior business admin major at age 25. When I finally graduate I will be 26......so marriage and kids maybe coming soon. So I want to get my fun in.....say....NOW! Anyway, I want to study fashion overseas in such a terrible way. But like you guys, I don't know what avenue to take. I want to find connections to some types of internships, volunteer opportunities, co-ops, ANYTHING! I am so open to an adventure. I've never been out of the country and I feel there is a world out there waiting for me. (That's so corny!) But it's really how I feel. I want to lay the groundwork for a great career and the chance to meet new people. Financing is an issue as well. If there's anyone out there with information on Business and/or Fashion related opportunities, don't hesitate to respond. Good Luck to everyone.
kanga15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Iím almost 25 and also in the same boat. Iíve been out of college for three years now and have been working as an intern the past two. I have a job offer for next year but am having a hard time deciding if itís what I really want as there is still that adventurous person inside of me. I have found this book to be extremely inspiring giving me the hope that yes I can set aside my career and go off on that adventure I dream about. I went straight into the workforce out of college and have worked non-stop ever since so my toughest challenge seems to be getting those around me to understand this little ďdreamĒ of mine. They all see it as just that a dream, but Iím out to prove them all wrong. Why canít a 25 year old set aside a career and have a little fun?! Good Luck to you all and follow your dreams!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sales. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~ Mark Twain
Amy

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Almost 25 Reply with quote

I recently completed my first job out of college, woohoo!!! I spent the majority of the past year in a lab processing samples that i collected doing ecological fieldwork. I am in need of something exciting and refreshing, something that puts me in contact with people rather than being alone in a lab all day Exclamation I'm ready to go anywhere I can use all my pent up energy from the past year!!!!
I've been abroad once before (to Spain) for about 3 weeks and am ready for something more intense and real. I would like to find some sort of job in healthcare, sustainability/conservation, or something similar. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!! Very Happy
ctedgewater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mate-
Faced similar decision a few years back. Later on you realize all the excuses you thought you had don't exist anymore! Life changes in so many brilliant ways. I am going on 26 now and have seen various parts of 18 countries and now lived/worked in 3. My only advise would be do some homework, save some money, and just GO FOR IT. Do not let anyone talk you out of it. It is something you will never regret. If I can be of any assistance to you in any way (ideas, recommendations, etc.) contact me through msn or my website. Best of luck to ya! It's your world baby.

Chris
alliemackb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Great motivation but.... Reply with quote

All of this motivation is fantastic as I am in a very similar position in life. However, I amhaving the hardest time figuring out what exactly I want to do. I don't think it is necessarily the "plunge" that is intimidating, it is the decision of what exactly to do! Any advice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: