The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Take on the "Real World"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Your Take on the "Real World" Reply with quote

I'm curious to know what other people think. What do you think of the way people generally live today? Do you just view traveling or adventuring as an escape? Do you find a nomadic lifestyle more authentic than settling down into a career right away? Do you want to dedicate your life to volunteering? How do you want to live your life and how to you want anything that could be considered "delaying the real world" to fit into it?

-Camille
denise1234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to dedicate myself to seeing as much as I can of the world before I die. I think on my final day I would be disappointed with myself if I spent my life living to work instead of working to LIVE!!
trentonsheridan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denise1234 wrote:
I want to dedicate myself to seeing as much as I can of the world before I die. I think on my final day I would be disappointed with myself if I spent my life living to work instead of working to LIVE!!

AMEN

I am teaching in Korea and after this I have two years planned in several countries and industries. I think that most people are brainwashed into believing that what they need in life is a big house, big tv, and a big salary. That's just plain wrong. There is a lot more to life. And as far as the "escapism" idea, well, it's only escapism if you are running away from something instead of running toward something.

Living an open, travel heavy lifestyle is about going TO the places, people, and experiences that will really make your life great. "Too Weak" vacations are escapes.

btw, I got the term "Too Weak" from a relatively interesting, if idealistic, book called the "The 4 hour Work Week" by Timothy Ferris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: