The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Application Deadline Misleading
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtp02005

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Application Deadline Misleading Reply with quote

I was putting the finishing touches on my application today (May 30th at about 1:00 pm) and when I hit submit I was told the application process was closed, yet the deadline says May 30th! If you are going to advertise something as being due on May 30th then you should give people the entire day to get in an application. I've been working on this thing for weeks, and now I have no way of getting it in. And of course there's no email address to be found on the website to forward my complaint to. This is bogus.

I guess I'll have to delay the real world on my own...
borderhopping

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second. I just signed on to submit my app and found "closed" instead. I think in the future, a date AND time would be very helpful. Like "Deadline May 29th Midnight" or May 30th Noon.

It's true we're waiting until the last possible minute and yada yada but still.
tstoner

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Same for me!! Reply with quote

Hi jtp02005,

In a frustrating way I was relieved in seeing your post to learn that I was not the only one. I also spent a considerable amount of time on this application to only be crushed to find out the date posted is wrong.

If you find any contact information please post it. I will do the same. I very much want to talk with someone from Moon Travel.

best of luck. I hope you still get to complete your adventure.
hannahdbanana

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Me Too Reply with quote

I'm with you all. I spent weeks on this and was waiting until today when I really had time to sit down and concentrate on it to put the finishing touches on it. I was so excited to submit it and here we are. I'm wondering if they set their website to close the application on the 30th rather than the end of the 30th? Please let me know if you find contact information as well! I'm keeping my eye on it. Maybe it will open back up. Ugh. Crappy way to start the weekend.
hannahdbanana

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Colleen Reply with quote

I clicked on an old thread that was a question directed to Colleen...if you click on her name it gives you an option to send a private message to her. I sent one explaining what happened with a pleading "Have pity on us." message at the end...................Don't know how to contact anyone else. Very frustrating.
maureenclairewhite

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried to submit an application at 1:00 today and couldn't. The worst part is that I had planned to submit earlier in the week but had to travel overseas to attend my grandfather's funeral, so I got delayed by a few days! I tried emailing the book publisher but who knows if that will work. Hopefully someone will realize the problem and extend the deadline by another day...
lindsay.aylesworth

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too tried to submit today thinking i could because the deadline said May 30, 2009. Very disappointing as just like the rest I worked hard on it and had time on the weekend to review one last time before submitting.
buglady

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! I'm having the same problem. Has anybody heard from Colleen or any of the other administrators of the website?
tscheinman

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: pleeeeease accept my app! Reply with quote

Ditto to all that. My app's all ready to go. In the name of adventure, please email me at edwardscheinman AT gmail DOT com, and I'll get it to you right away!

Thanks!
Ted
clairehellweg

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this happened to a lot of people- myself included. I'm really hoping Delaying the Real World will see their mistake, since so many were involved, and accept all of our applications. Please make a decision on this soon!
erinca

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Website deadline misleading Reply with quote

Hi all,
I too have been trying all day to send in my application that I worked hard on. As I am currently living in the woods, it is a rare opportunity I have to make it to the internets- and what a raging disappointment that the website is saying it's closed

I WOULD VERY MUCH STILL LIKE TO APPLY, AND I HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION READY TO GO.
PLEASE EMAIL ME, COLLEEN KINDER!
amerlenbach

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: ME TOO! Reply with quote

Well at first I was glat to see I was not the only one to think that May 30 probably means May 30...I too have been working on this for weeks and was really bummed to find that I could not submit my app earlier today. But now I am just kind of frustrated that so many clearly talented people have been excluded on a very minor technicality. Besides, here in the real world, the date is still May 30th! Anyway, I guess there is no sense in getting too upset about this, but I am having a hard time not being angry after putting so much thought and work into something and not even getting a chance to apply.

In any case, I had fun writing the application and reading about the book and the past winners. I really hope everyone who posted here continues their awesome work. Keep it real my friends,
Alison
clairehellweg

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: colleen kinder's email address Reply with quote

hey everyone- i found colleen's email at the end of an article of hers i found online. i just emailed her my application and i think everyone else should do the same, if they like. everyone deserves to get in before the deadline and hopefully she will understand. obviously there is something wrong with this server, because my post came up as being posted at 2-something am in the morning on sunday, when really i posted at 9-something pm on saturday.
colleen's email: colleenkinder@gmail.com
hopefully this can be resolved!
buglady

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your user preferences, the server is showing times in Greenwich Mean Time by default, so it looks a later than the actual time for those of us on the East Coast (I'm currently writing around three in the morning). There were definitely people who couldn't submit even before midnight GMT today (yesterday?), though, so I don't think that was the problem.

Thanks for finding Colleen's email address. I"ll give it a shot!
Mywanderer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: delaying the deadline? Reply with quote

I also am upset about the confusing deadline. I spent the last month working on this! When I went to submit it I was unable to! I hope they give us a way to post it. I emailed Colleen but don't know if thats even an active email account anymore. If anyone hears anything, please post it in the next day or so!! Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: