The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Statistics regarding American Charity as compared to others

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Who Really Cares? by Arthur Brooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew Murphy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Statistics regarding American Charity as compared to others Reply with quote

Could anyone reading this forum please direct me to surveys/statistics regarding how Americans donate as compared to people of other nations? I heard Dr Brooks being interviewed by Bob Edwards and before the conservative versus liberal trends were shared there was some discussion of how americans are the most generous, by any and all measures.
The same day, I went to class and listened to a well-read Canadian student curse the uncaring Americans. I wont go into too much detail.
Now i seek data.
Anyone, anyone?
Thanks. Matt
jhcjhc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where to find the hard data but I heard yesterday on CNBC's morning call that as a % of Gross Domestic Product the US gives something like double the amount to charity then any other country. The % aspect takes away the argument that we are the richest country so we should give more. All things equal we do give more as a total and as a % of GDP. Or if you want to be clever, tell him to look up the % of funding America gives the U.N. Talk about charity!

CRAZY CANUKS
alislaura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matthew,

I can't help you out with statistics, just my observations from living in Germany for 18 years now. It is my impression that there is a more developed and widespread culture of giving time and money to charitable causes in the U.S. than here. People here expect the government to take care of the poor, the unemployed, create equality, manage disasters, etc. Germany could profit from a dose of the U.S. spirit of individuals helping, caring and trying to make a difference.

At the same time, I would have to point out that there is less poverty in Germany than in the U.S. Less crime, of course. Less drug abuse. No gated communities. Everyone has access to health care. There are problems with Big Government and I do not view it uncritically. But based on results, for all their donations, private initiative is not getting the job done in the U.S.
alislaura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: a statistic Reply with quote

Me again. I have one (small) piece of hard data for your question. Sort of. It's not exactly what you asked for, but it is relevant and it is an indication of how complicated such inquiries are, what gets lost when everything is reduced to numbers.

Over here in Germany, there is a church tax. Yep, the federal government deducts a certain percentage of personal income and passes it along to one of the two established churches in Germany, the Roman Catholic and Lutheran Protestant. This tax is semi-voluntary. If you officially leave the church you don't have to pay it. If you belong to any other denomination or church besides the two big ones you also don't have to pay it. But as long as you are officially a member of the Roman Catholic or Lutheran Churches, this tax will be deducted.

It amounts to about 2.3 percent of gross income (it can be a little more or less depending on other deductions).

The big churches here in Germany carry out a number of social programs besides religious worship - they run daycare programs, nursing homes, hospitals, counselling and other social services.

Even if this tax is not completely voluntary, it plays a role in individuals' decision to make further charitable donations. German citizens feel that this tax IS a charitable donation and take it into consideration when deciding to make further charitable donations.

So in the case of Germany, anyway, how can you compare this with American rates of giving? It's an apple and oranges comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Who Really Cares? by Arthur Brooks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: