The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AAAADDDDVVVIICCEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you were almost finished college and realized you didn't like what you were doing, what would you do?
change your major, although stepping backward and loosing a couple years in school
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Finish off your degree and give it a shot before trying somethin new
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

amz43

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: AAAADDDDVVVIICCEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

So, I am going to be a senior in college majoring in accounting. I know it isn't the most exciting subject, but I've spent the whole summer in a cubicle working 8-5 hrs. I have always been really rational and had good grades, but flip-flopped around a lot and my family had lost faith in me. So, I dedicated the last three years to showin them off...working to pay for my school, living on my own and not asking for a single dime in 3 years. Now, it seems like I'm the fool, because I'm in shock..like after two months in a cubicle, I know that no matter what subject I'm doing, if I have to sit in a cubicle for the rest of my life I will slit my throat. Secondly, I am in a very serious relationship and we have lived together for two years and plan to be together for life. So, it brings me to the point...I want to be free and get out and enjoy my life helping others and openning my horizons. My stepmom is from korea and she said that S. Korea are desperate need for Americans to teach ini Seoul. Her friend would house me anytime and they would PAY me like $1000 to teach per month for the whole summer-any summer-next summer-without any experience or knowledge of the language. This isn't the only thing I want to do, but it would be a cool, risk free trial and it woulldn't be too long of a time from my other half. What do you think and should I continue with my major in school...to get a degree...too late to change, right? My life sucks....I don't know what to do! I just feal like I've been wasting my time, but also don't want to waste more...and I'm only going to be 21 in Aug!
MLtheSprite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I was in a similar boat - I graduated in May 2006 after 5 years in college (extra time because of transfers and major changes). Long story short: I wanted to major in the arts, but I was afraid and decided on biology instead.

Well, I made one of the best decisions of my life last summer - I decided to do the BUNAC Work Abroad program in London. I met some of the best friends of my life, and I gained confidence.

I would say: go for the South Korean experience. You only live once, and I think it's important to make decisions you value while you're still young.
CicatrizJCP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: College Degrees and the post-grad grief Reply with quote

Finish your degree!!! You don't want to be in school for another 1.5-2 years anyway! In the job market today, people look to see whether you are capable of learning, not what you already have crammed for over the past 4-5 years of college. Many people (if not a majority) end up doing doing things that are not related to their degree anyway. Building competencies in a variety of fields shows that you are an intelligent, flexible person who is willing to learn new trades or new ways of doing things. Not to mention that if you did decide to go back to accounting, your résumé would now state that you have experience in Korea and perhaps understand some of the language and surely the culture. That makes you much more competitive in the job market. So, GO FOR IT!!!! It is really a win-win situation.

I hope this post is not way to late (it looks like it was posted about 8 months ago). But if you did go for the cubicle life, perhaps you can still be persuaded to quit and take a summer off to invest in your capabilities.

Good luck!
CicatrizJCP
evierobbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: neither Reply with quote

i'd do neither. i'd finish out my degree, so that it's done. and i'd look for a job that is more along the lines of my actual personal interests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: