The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jacob Sullum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Cigarette Century
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightSmoker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Jacob Sullum Reply with quote

Mr. Brandt,

I have just purchased your book and am ainxious in reading all that it has to say on the subject, to which, I have not been able to quit, only reduce down to a couple of cigarettes a day.

I do have one question that while I have not read the book, my casual glances at the notes and index assures me that you have made no mention of this.

The first question is on my subject, Jacob Sullum. He wrote a book called "For your own good: Anti-Smoking Crusade and the tyranny of public health." No doubt, you with the release of this book and it opposing arguments, will be part of this 'tyranny.' I will only go into specifics of his arguments if you wish, but I was hoping that you did read it and knows its arguments. Perhaps my question is too soon, and you do make mention of his arguments, and just not him (him name is not in the index). Or, perhaps, as I will see, your book tracing the history, is not more much of his book, tracing public outcry and perception. Nor, do I want the comments because I belive your book, serving more to those who do not smoke and feel that smoking is wrong, and I wanna begin vicious notes back and forth between a smoker and non.

My only goal here and question is, that Jacob Sullum, though probably will disagree with much of his analysis, did write a book, for which you did not make any mention of. As the only book that I know in recent times that has traced the book from an opposing side than yours, I though given the chance to ask you about it, I would.

I look forward to reading it....

Sean

p.s. You made mention in the aknowledgments that the book was much longer....Just curious, whats the longest you ever thought that it would be?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Cigarette Century All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: