The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome to the QUANTICO Forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Quantico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the QUANTICO Forum Reply with quote

Thanks for dropping by the QUANTICO forum! I'll be answering questions and comments here specifically for my novel QUANTICO, which will be published on April 9. We'll be adding more material as that date approaches, so return visits will be rewarded. Meanwhile, please take a look at the video interview and the excerpt from QUANTICO--and let us know what you think.

Any questions about my other books? Please check in to my main web site at www.gregbear.com.
mitch285

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Just finished the book. Reply with quote

Wow. This is one depressing book. Well written, and oh so probable. I appreciate that you don't assign political parties to the politicians. Iraq may have been a Bush Republican thing when it got started, possibly the stupidest move by any federal administration, but it is now an American thing. Even if we were truly to 'stay the course' until all the warring parties calm down (like the century it has taken Ireland?), it is unlikely that sufficient US funds would be spent to bring that country back to where it was physically and economically before we invaded. No matter which party gets the White House this next time around.

I also appreciate the probability of the science, and of the proliferation of acronyms, that you portray. I'm glad that our library has filed this book under Action/Suspense. That image gives it more of a chance to find readers who don't usually touch sci fi. It is something I would recommend to all members of the House & Senate, though I don't know if those people take the time to read novels.

Thank you for a good book
Marian
Greg Bear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Marian! I doubt that QUANTICO is any more a downer than the usual Cold War thrillers we all know and love--but it's a different world now, with different stories to tell. Len Deighton and John Le Carre could get pretty darn dark! And Tom Clancy racks up the body count now and then...
OlracUK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, being a Brit I got to read this some time ago. And all I can say is I really enjoyed it, a dark suspensful story. But, it is a slight departure from Greg's usual sci-fi, although it does have al his hallmarks - great attention to cutting edge technology, twists in the tale and you need to concentrate to follow it all.

But, a question for Mr B - did you have any inside advice about the internal politics of US government departments?
Greg Bear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent some time consulting with various government agencies since 9-11 certainly helped. Early on I saw the need for a coordinated effort against the potential of bio-hackers--but what concerned me most of all was a failure of top-level leadership. When 9-11 happened, perhaps my first response was "We're in for it now. These are the wrong people to run our country at this time." For the first year, I thought perhaps I had misjudged. But shortly thereafter, I knew QUANTICO had to be written. (And the book was actually proposed to publishers back in 2001--before 9-11.)
nimblebooks

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Kudos Reply with quote

I just finished reading QUANTICO. I thought it was the single best book I have read on the future of the "Global War on Terror." Terrific work!
Greg Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks! We're getting excellent reviews and coverage. And we'll be posting more material on this site very soon, and on a regular basis. I'm preparing a bibliography right now...
NJSteve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantico Reply with quote

I've only got 13 pages left to read of Quantico. I just don't want this book to end. I've got hopes that it'll end with bad news so a sequel can be possible and that you can put it out before Summer's over (one can hope). The characters are great and sympathetic (at least the leads). I hope there'll be a movie.
Greg Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No movie news yet... but I think QUANTICO actually ends on a quietly positive note. No spoilers, however!
NJSteve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: the spoils of war Reply with quote

I won't spoil it either for anyone who might read this. I wasn't disappointed. Not one bit. Very nice of you to actually have a bulletin board that you use to communicate with readers/fans. Thanks.
raginliberal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Quantico Reply with quote

I'm more than 3/4ths of the way through the book, and while I like the book I find there is more than a little anti-liberal bias in the book. Considering the way the FBI has been used or abused by the current administration I think that any new admistration would be right on target to shake up the FBI.
Greg Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Liberal Bias Reply with quote

Cool! DARWIN'S CHILDREN got me in deep trouble with Bush conservatives, and now QUANTICO seems to have some anti-liberal bias. I must be doing something right! My characters speak their own minds, friends--they're not mouthpieces for my point of view.

But when Rebecca Rose refers to "Cleaning up after the elephant parade," I do not disagree with her at all. We'll be doing that--as a nation--for decades to come.
Louis J Sheehan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Louis J Sheehan -- GREAT BOOK! Reply with quote

Louis J Sheehan -- GREAT BOOK!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Quantico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: