The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daring Dreams in Different Directions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pretzellogic186

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Daring Dreams in Different Directions Reply with quote

Hey all. I figured some possibly like-minded 20-somethings out there might be able to help sort out this issue of mine that I'd wager a lot of you out there have as well.

I read through DTRW a while ago and found it inspiring to the max. Sure I want to pick everything up and move out to some city. Sure I want to meet some wild n' crazy people out there who are always up for an adventure, for fun, for helping the community, and for not acting your age all around the clock. Sure I want to chase after some zany dream of mine.

My problem is, I just can't decide what I want to do. The only thing I DO know is that I do not want to get stuck doing just one thing for the rest of my life like my folks do now. In their heyday, they both had dreams to catch, but ended up getting suckered into the then-booming biz of the insurance world. Now they're cubicle captives and spend endless days working with mindless corporate zombies and pencil-neck paper pushers. After hearing all of the stories they have had to tell of these things, all I knew I wanted to do through college is to leave as many doors open as possible and to never slam a door of opportunity shut unless I was absolutely sure that it was not the door for me.

The gameplan I cooked up to follow is to pursue a career in education so that I could use my strengths in being able to work with children and being able to teach people things by keeping them simple while consequently not surrendering that school vacation time we all know and love(d). With that time, I plan to write with all the midnight oil I can burn, for one of my more central dreams is to become a successful author/playwright/TV show/moviemaker (one of those, at least).

Right now I don't have a classroom of my own, for I work as a tutor in a middle school. Every day I think of nailing that classroom, but then I recoil in fear of that "success" then slamming those other doors of opportunity shut.

I still want to write. I still want to produce plays or films. I still want to jam on whatever horns I have or can grab and master. I still want to make video games. I still want to build my own jazz and blues nightclub. I still want to see the world. I still want yadda yadda yadda. At the same time, though, I still want to teach. I love working with kids, and I love watching the light bulbs go off as I take some concept that seemed like Greek to a group of students after their teacher went through it all and translating it into something easy to grasp and manipulate.

Now March is here, and the search for a classroom is starting to heat up again, but I'm hesitant. I want that classroom, but I don't want to leave all those other aspirations for naught. If I don't make a play for the classroom now, though, it seems like it'll be all the more difficult to secure one in the near future, as that current window of opportunity sparked by massive waves of retirement of current teachers across the US will close within the next few years.

Anyone else out there thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
Harimau_betina2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. I feel as if life is pulling me in 16,000 different directions at once. However, choosing a path does not confine you to it for the rest of your life. If you feel pulled towards teaching then run with it! Just because you teach for 2...5...10 years doesn't mean that you are then stuck in it for the rest of your life!!
Also, have you looked into teaching abroad?? I am certified in TEFL (Teacching English as a Foreign Language) and can now volunteer and accept postions abroad....if travelling also tickles your fancy then look in that direction as well.
You said you also want to be a playwright. Write a play for your students! Is it the big time? No...but you do get to try out your skills!
Don't be so scared of getting stuck. You'll never learn anything if you don't get stuck in! And the fact that you REALIZE that you have other dreams and goals is the exact reason you won't get bogged down!

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: