The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weekly Worship More Important

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Who Really Cares? by Arthur Brooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiberalMinister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Weekly Worship More Important Reply with quote

I've been diving into the book. It seems from Brook's research that it matters more that folks are "religious people" (he defines this as going to worship once or more per week on p. 34). That is, religious liberals and religious conservatives both give more than average.

So, am I to assume from this that it would be better if everybody became regulars in their worship service of choice? Solve our problems by raising attendance rates?

Disclaimer -- as my forum name suggests, I'm a religious leader in a tradition which has no disincentives regarding lax attendance.
alan82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know many people who go to church every Sunday to be seen...the modern-day Pharisees...and who publically give a lot more money than they would privately. Does this make them religious, and does it make them charitable?

I think some of the religious politicians, conservatives and liberals, should spend more time on their knees asking for wisdom and true lovingness than proclaiming their religious bent to the world.
Sapwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan82 wrote:
I know many people who go to church every Sunday to be seen...the modern-day Pharisees...and who publically give a lot more money than they would privately. Does this make them religious, and does it make them charitable?

I think some of the religious politicians, conservatives and liberals, should spend more time on their knees asking for wisdom and true lovingness than proclaiming their religious bent to the world.

Come on Alan!

I would challenge you to find even ONE Pharisee in my parish in Huntsville. These are good people who selflessly pick up the Cross every day. Our Pastor is a man from India. Oh yah, he's a Pharisee as he washes a dozen peoples' feet in front of the parish during Holy Week.

There is a great website for your kind of chatter: Yahoo.com. You can get real medieval there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Who Really Cares? by Arthur Brooks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: