The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old tobacco ads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Cigarette Century
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Old tobacco ads Reply with quote

Can prints of the ads in the gallery be purchased anywhere?

bob1
Allan Brandt

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret that I don't know where you could purchase these ads. I have found a lot of ads at farmer's markets and in antique shops. Some are available on ebay for purchase. Most of these were scanned from ads I have collected over the years.

AB
garyklan09

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many sites online that offers print of ads, just surf the net and you'll find what you need..
billymich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many archives across the nation that have collections pertaining to tobacco products - and many of these have examples of tobacco ads.
In a subsequent post, I'll provide links to one collection in particular that offers an interesting view of over 500 tobacco ads dating back to the mid-19th century. Seems as though a first-time poster needs to contribute one posting before he can provide URLs - with any luck I'll send along another post soon.
billymich

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in old tobacco ads, you can find numerous collections in archives across the U.S. If you want one site to consult, take a look at Duke University's website for the Center for Sales, Advertising and Marketing History. The Center is part of Duke's Rare Book, Manuscripts and Special Collections Library. They've mounted a great site on the emergence of advertising in America. The link below will bring you to one section of the website containing over 500 tobacco ads (many in color) dating from 1850 to 1920. (You may have to cut and paste the site below if the HTML option is off.)

http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/eaa/search/results?t=tobacco

You might also want to go to the front page of the "Emergence of Advertising" site in order to read information about copyright, citation, and reproduction of images in the collection:

http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/eaa/

Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Cigarette Century All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: