The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Queer gap year?please no flames,don't read if you don't like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zanahoria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Queer gap year?please no flames,don't read if you don't like Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a senior in high school, and I'm ready to be done with school for a while and take a gap year. The thing is, I'm queer and I've lived in a pretty isolating high school. I don't want to deal with a lot of homophobia or a lack of out queer people once I graduate. Does anyone know of any especially gay-friendly cities or programs that I could take part in? I'm especially interested in service work, learning Spanish, immersion in a different culture, a strong community, and not taking classes.

Thanks!
cereza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola "Carrot"! Love the name! In the U.S. I have only heard of SanFran being the most gay friendly, but hey, they are a bit close to Mexico! As for abroad, my major is Spanish (Im a senior in college), and I do know that though Spain is a so-called catholic country, the high majority of citizens are not practicing Catholics, and their constitution has made gay marriage legal. They do have traditionalists but that is changing, they are pretty liberal and accepting, plus they have a huge tourist economy so they are very accomodating. I would recommend either in the south where the weather is nice or in the Pais Vasco in the north!
Zanahoria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

That's really helpful. San Fran of course would be amazing gay-friendliness-wise, but I'd like to get out of the country if possible and learn Spanish. Maybe I'll go there to earn some money or something.

Pais Vasco is especially gay-friendly? I heard Barcelona is really artsy. Is it accepting too?
mangoman

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: program in Mexico Reply with quote

Hi, Zanahoria.

The Mexico City-based men's sexual health non-profit I run just re-launched its internship program, and so *if you're still searching* it might be interesting for you - or anyone else!

Take a look on our NGO's website: milk dot org dot mx

Good luck!
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: