The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone a few years out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinkbug8u

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too am in a similiar boat. I'm 26 graduated with a fine arts degree in '05 and am looking to saving up for a world trip. I've been wanting to save up for RTW trip for the longest time but it just never happened for me. I had mini adventures along the way, like treeplanting in BC/Alberta after graduating but that doesn't earn much money anymore. Now I moved back home to save up some mula working as a carpenter apprentice. I kind of feel like time slipping out of my hands somewhat. How long can I really delay the real world. I'm not getting any younger. I just need to get this wanderlust out of my system then I can settle down to a career. But money for me has always been the biggest obstacle.
adventureawaits

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can completely understand the boat you're in. I am a recent graduate (after a couple extra years and a few adventures in between) and I find myself lost many days and not knowing where my path is going. I have had Delaying the Real World for a few years and I find that when I'm not sure of things that I get a renewed sense of adventure and hope from turning the pages of this book. I have highlighted many sections, tabbed pages, and the book has gone with me everywhere. While I'm not sure if I'll ever get as big of an adventure as my study abroad experience in college I'm still hoping that something good will happen for me adventure wise. Money is also a problem for me as I'm sure it is for a lot of us right now since the economy is not so good and the jobs are getting harder to come by. For anyone who hasn't read this book, do it now, because it has surely changed me for the better.
J bean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Such thing as delaying too much? Reply with quote

Yes I can also relate. I am almost 25. I have actually traveled before, to Africa. If you have not traveled yet, PLEASE DO IT. You will not regret it. I saved money and volunteered with the Foundation for Sustainable Development (internship for any age).

I am in a pickle now, because on my resume- I have about 6 months as an assistant and 6 months at a non-profit and little jobs in between. I just got laid off and am wanting to travel again. I have been debating whether I should just finally settle down, but I want to travel! I want to go back to Africa because I miss my host-family and it was very hard on me to leave them so suddenly and I feel I didn't get the full expeirence I wanted.

EEEEVERYONE is telling me not to go, that I need to settle down and get some job experience. After coming back from Kenya, I was unemployed for 4 months. It was sooo hard to find a job, now I still don't have much on my resume. I want to go back to Kenya, but I also want job security. AAAHH!!

Should I keep delaying? Or finally face the real world?
kanga15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J bean -

I'm 27, and like you feel the pressure from many telling me to settle down. While I've spent the past five years working full time, many of my friends have gotten married, bought houses and had children. I've never traveled abroad and have been dreaming of volunteering in Africa for a number of years. I finally applied to (hopefully) volunteer in Africa this upcoming summer -although I won't find out for another month. My current job was my first real job out of college and I've known for awhile that its not what I want to do forever. I lived rather frugally the last five years and hope to put the "Real World" on hold for awhile next fall as I head back to grad school full time. I'm crossing my figures that when I finish the economy will be better - but either way think I'll be happier in the long run.

I say if there is something that you want to do and you have the means of doing it - DO IT! The real world will always be there in some shape or form, it just sometimes takes a little patience and creativity to enter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: