The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoroughly Engaging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Come Together @ Lennon Revealed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Thoroughly Engaging Reply with quote

I just finished Lennon Revealed and simply put, I learned a lot. The book flowed very well, yes there were some noticable errors in editiing and at times, your narration was a bit repetitive, however the overall content was thoroughly engaging.

Like so many others, the Beatles and John Lennon played a pivotal role in my life. Their music is my life's personal soundtrack, finding intimate references that, in my mind, relate wholly to me. There are other very special musical enfluences for me, but no single artist or group can eclipse the effect of the Beatles. As a youngster in the early 60s, my older sisters played the LPs until grooves were etched into the platter. I had the lyrics memorized. My friends and I would steal my sister's Beatles records (at great peril) to play on a portable player in the garage, mouthing the words as we strummed tennis rackets and banged on ice cream tubs. In our imaginations, we were John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

In my youth, I had a memorable dream. It was around the Rubber Soul era and in my dream, John and George visited me in my front yard. While many dreams are forgotten, this one is still so vivid in my mind. John was really interested in me and asked me lots of questions. I felt at ease with him. George was not as interested in me, yet he echoed a lot of what John said. John did not seemed bothered that I was so excited about meeting and talking with a Beatle. He wanted to get to know me and he seemed to like me from the start. I've always held that dream close and after reading your book, I can see that my early impressions of the man were on the mark.

His impact, his personality, he clearly communicated to fans. I don't consider any of my music or entertainment heroes as idols. The word idol has too many other connotations to me. I have always looked at my hereos and given them the respect to know that they are people first, imperfect and vulnerable, just like me.

Growing up, John always had a special place in my heart. During the years he was looking after Sean, I remember a quote from him, something like "we are writing our poetry in the sky." That was good enough for me. He had already given so much, I respected his needs to privacy and stepping out of the limelight for awhile. Like so many others, I was crushed by his death. I do not believe in mentioning the name of his assailant, as this person wastes perfectly good oxygen. I prefer to think and speak only of John Lennon and his legacy.

Reading your book explained to me what an important impact John had on my life. My personal beliefs and morals reflect his as I pray for peace and love in this muddled-up world. His words and music live forever and I am pleased to say that I lived during the life and times of Mr. Lennon. He did make our world a better place. His absence tilts my perceived balance in life. We continue to ask ourselves, if John were here, what would he think? what would he say? We'll never know. We need to think and speak out like he would. We need to follow his example. We need to better follow our hearts. I think that is your ultimate message in Lennon Revealed.

Thank you for your extraordinary work. I'm purchasing Ticket To Ride next!

Last edited by rokit on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
rokit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: A Long Time After: But the Effect Is SO Positive. Reply with quote

wow, rokit: I really enjoyed reading this from you. I love the drawing too. I have done a few myself: wonder whether I will manage to post it? will give one a try. ANyway.. I had older brothers who had paperroutes, and they bought the Beatle albums: and they were very kind to include me, and let me listen to them.

Actually, I grew up about a mile from where the "Free John Sinclair" concert took place, in Ann Arbor, Michigan. My brother (the one who bought the albums, and always made sure I got to listen to them) was a personal friend of John Sinclair-= -- he managed somehow to be absent the day the drug raid took place.. and he invited me to come with him to that concert. I declined: I was too afraid of the crowd; the drinking; the probable toking etc.. (I was... 16 or 17??) and... I was also afraid that I would die of a broken heart if I saw John at 300 yards (or however far or close..) and didn't get to talk.. or whatever...
I did almost die of a broken heart when he was killed. IT was months later, and I was walking around hunched over, with a physical weight in my chest... like water or something like that (I think that is what actually happens..) somehow I survived though. Confused Shocked

The thing about your dream is very interesting. I wonder sometimes whether dreams aren't just as or more real than what we call "reality"... I would feel truly blessed to have a face to face encounter with John and George... whether in dream (which would sort of have to be the vehicle now) or in person. I miss them. Sad

[img]http://www.johnlennonlover.com/images/7dollarcoverJoanne/001Johnfor7ReportSalesenh.bmp[/img] http://www.johnlennonlover.com/images/7dollarcoverJoanne/001Johnfor7ReportSalesenh.bmp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rokit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A Long Time After: But the Effect Is SO Positive. Reply with quote

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for responding to my post. I had to re-register as it seems my 2 posts were not enough to keep my membership going. I enjoyed watching your YouTube video and checking out your artwork. KewlStuff. I am also a guitarist and composer. I wrote a song in December of 1980 called "they killed my best friend John" and your song reminded me of those same feelings. So many of us were touched by the man, his words, his music, these will stay with us all our lives.

Cheers,
Rokit
rokit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A Long Time After: But the Effect Is SO Positive. Reply with quote

If you'd like to hear some of my music, check out my recordings on this indy music site: http://sezwhoyou.bandamp.com/playlist.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Come Together @ Lennon Revealed All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: