The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My own story (as inspired by Colleen Kinder!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LifeEnergy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: My own story (as inspired by Colleen Kinder!) Reply with quote

Well, as the end of college edged closer, i realized that the most common options that my peers were taking terrifyed me. I was going to get my science degree, and hearing all my classmates talking obsessively about Med School, PHD Programs, and the Big jobs they were getting to start off their careers. I looked into the options, started applying for grad schools, but realized that it was not what i wanted to do at all.

Instead, remembering Colleen's advice on not rushing, i actually pulled some strings with my counselor and delayed my graduation. Instead of following the science path set for me, i did a study abroad program in Spain for the summer! The experience was one of the most eye opening and awesome times of my life. Hey and I can now speak Spanish....something that i wasnt even close to being able to do after my 2 years of college spanish.

After that I continued the study abroad by moving to Rome in the fall. I learned nothing about science, but took classes in Archeology, History, and Italian. I met amazing people and saw amazing things every day!

I finished my last semester of college in Italy, and was still restless. Then with my new Eurail pass, and what little money i had left, i went backpacking alone through 8 countries for a month. This was the most incredible experience of my life. Everyday i met amazing people from all over the world, full of stories about their adventures. I learned to become a lot more self reliant, a lot more confident in my abilities to handle unstable situations, and I gained a much better understanding of the world!

When i finally came home, i needed to pay off some debt, and found a science job that I now love! I am now saving up money and starting to think about my next journey!

If you are feeling unsure about your future, and KNOW deep down that you want to do something different, DO IT!!!

It will change your life!

Thanks Colleen for the inspiration!
Colleen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great story! It's amazing how even a short experience, like a summer in Spain, can set you down a totally different path. Hat's off to you for following your instincts! Reading about your adventures made me want a Eurail pass. Too bad Santa doesn't dole those out.....
Thanks for sharing!
Colleen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: