The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

logic v. what one really wants.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahamm2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: logic v. what one really wants. Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I just graduated with a BA in English/Writing and have just started a paralegal certificate program; this seems like the logical thing, since virtually all my jobs through college have been at law firms. Now that I have graduated, and people are perpetually posing the question, "What are you going to do now?", I feel trapped, perhaps beginning to realize that the track I am on now may not be the one for me. I have always dreamed of going to Paris to write and do photography. I have looked into TEFL certification so I can have a day job while I am over there. My parents have a lot of regrets in their lives and I don't want to inherit that. The problem is not many people around me are very supportive of this "dream." I'm going to be receiving a considerable amount of money from an insurance settlement very soon, so the finances should be taken care of. I traveled through Europe about 7 years ago and fell in love with it, particularly Paris, and I can't wait to go back.

My question is, after all of this rambling, should I just forego the "logical" route and go to Europe to live out my dream, while I am still young and sans obligations? I recently spoke with an author and an owner of a local holistic shop, and they both encouraged me to pursue it. I'm just curious about others' words of wisdom, points of view, etc. ?

BTW: This book has totally opened up my eyes. It is so inspiring to see how many people my age have been in this predicament and have just thrown caution to the wind and gone for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kschutte

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My parents have a lot of regrets in their lives and I don't want to inherit that.

I think you've pretty much answered your own question. Wink

And trust me, people will be more supportive once you get there.
ReallyFunRachel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. No matter what happens, I doubt you will EVER regret having spent a while in Paris pursuing a dream (think of all the adventures waiting for you!!!) ... but you will always wonder what could have happened if you don't go. Sounds like all the details are working out without even trying, and as a believer in God, that sounds like a sign to me! Smile Have fun!!!!

P.S. Just tell all those people who don't support you that any future employer who doesn't value your experience and courage going abroad - is not an employer you want to work for anyway.
ReallyFunRachel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I just noticed you're from SC! Good to know there are other free spirited, big dreaming, thrill seeking young people like me out there. Way to represent.
MLtheSprite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there!

I loved Paris too - and I was lucky enough to live there for a total of 4 months over the last year.

The one thing I would caution you about is that it can be quite difficult to get a visa to the EU - and France in particular. How fluent is your French? If it's not that fluent, you will have a hard time getting a job.

Also, if you just go to France on a whim, you will only be able to stay in the country for 3 months - this is considered a "tourist visa."

I went overseas on a BUNAC work permit to London, and managed to go to Paris to take a language class at L'atelier 9 - a great little private school that limits its classes to 9 people. My French is now near-fluent.

Paris is a GREAT city, and I would highly recommend doing a lot of research to make this dream happen - even if you have to do it in a roundabout way the way I did.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: