The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cross cultural solutions--has anybody gone on this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
binka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: cross cultural solutions--has anybody gone on this? Reply with quote

I'm looking into doing a volunteer program with Cross Cultural Solutions... Has anyone heard or gone on these trips? I'm particulary interested in the Dharamsala trip.
Zanahoria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: I've heard of it Reply with quote

But only in a book, probably like you. I had a good instinct about it, though, if that helps any. Good luck!
ratherbesailing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: My observation Reply with quote

I didn't participate in the Program but certainly was aware of their presence while living abroad in Salvador da Bahia, Northeastern Brazil. They validated all negative stereotypes of the American tourist- loud, culturally insensitive, premiscuous (even to Brazilian standards!) and while they were allegedly there to teach at an orphanage, I only saw them on the beach. I heard from several of them that they were thrown into a very unorganized teaching situation in the favelas there, not even knowing Portuguese. All these things could be specific to that location, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: