The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

post graduation/ israel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leahpi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: post graduation/ israel Reply with quote

i graduated college in may 2005 witha plan of taking the summer to travel and then getting a job in social services in september. i spent two months in israel during the summer, and just absolutely loved it, loved being there, and almost didn't come home. but i did come home and have completely changed my plans from what i thought i would be doing when i graduated. i decided i wanted to move to israel within weeks of coming home, but i had spent any money i had saved up on my summer traveling, so i decided to just take the first job that came along because i didn't care about anything but israel anymore, including a social service job. well, the job that i got turned out to be absolutely terrible and not worth the crappy pay and certainly taught me to not take a job i don't care about. i need to have a passion for the work im doing or i can't do it. and im betting most of you out there are the same way. so i quit that job after only 4 months and i have just gotten a new job working with kids in foster care, which is kinda exactly what i wanted, surprisingly enough to me. i figured i would be able to find a job in social services, but maybe not exactly the kind of job i wanted, but i did, and so far its great!

so, now im trying to figure out exactly what to do when i move to israel. i want to move there by the summer. i know israel isn't the most popular place for people to travel, but i was hoping someone out there would have suggestions on ways i could work there and make enough money to live on at least. this book was a great help in figuring out what i want to do, in terms of jobs and traveling, but there wasn't a ton of info on israel. so i'm just hoping that someone out there can give me some more ideas.

and a bit of advice too, even if all you care about is saving money to travel, taking a job you hate to do that will make you even more miserable than you already are, so don't do it!
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: missions in Israel Reply with quote

I don't know if you're interested in this kind of thing - missions work - but if you are, then consider going to Israel as a short or long term missionary. I have a friend who is working with Christian Friends of Israel (CFI) in Jerusalem right now and loving it. The only down side is that you have to raise your own support before going. But most churches and family and friends will support you.
jwmpro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Save a Child's Heart Reply with quote

Hi Leahpi, the organization Save a Child's Heart (www.saveachildsheart.com) is really amazing. The work is fun and incredibly educational. A truly incredible experience. They don't pay you much but they do provide free room and board in exchange for work. Check out the website, they're based near Tel Aviv.
readytodelay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: so many options Reply with quote

there are so many options in israel right now. a good site to check out is israel programs.org. and those programs could probably put you into contact with others. if you volunteer many places will set you up for free with housing, some might even pay for a plane ticket. working on a kibbutz might be another cheep option. also, if you're interested in grad school there, i know that they have some programs that allow you to go for free, i'm not too familiar with them though. livnot u'lehibanot is another program with different options, those cost a little money but they could probably help set you up if you are planning to stay longer. good luck!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: