The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cruise ship jobs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: cruise ship jobs. Reply with quote

hii everybody..theres this site www.cruiseshipjob.net that offers a wide range of cruise ship jobs. if u can spare around $60 to have ur applications processed u mite land urslf into a cruise ship job..and a few of the housekeeping positions do not even ask for experience! and they pay well too..so maybe u could take a few months off to do this...best of luc!
S.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there i read your posting and it sounds great. I am highly considering trying to find a job on a cruise line. Are you sure that it is not a scam. Do you know of anybody that has got a job through this website?thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hii..i don really know of anybody who got a job thru this website...but when i read it..it dint really seem like a scam...im sure uve gone thru it urself..so u can form ur own opinion..but i suggest u check it out thoroughly before going ahead wid ur plans..here are a few more websites i came across..for various kinds of jobs www.traveltree.co.uk, http://www.anyworkanywhere.com/ ...or u cud juz type in stuff like www.jobsinswitzerland.com or www.beachresortsjobs.com etc. www.hcareers.com also offers various jobs in the hospitality industry...i hope this will help ...ill post in more stff when i come across them..gud luc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hii..juz minutes after posting the above reply i read the author's reply to a similar question posted by sum1 else...she recommends u send ur application to www.shipboardstaffing.com..thst way u wont have to pay any fee..i chkd out the site and it says applicants have to post their resume to a given address..maybe u could do that instead of spending $60.
MelLuvTravel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: NCL America Reply with quote

Check out NCL.com They are going city to city hiring people left and right, they have to fill a new cruise ship with staff. You fill out application online then visit a local job fair in your city. On a different note, has anyone ever worked for a cruise ship, did you enjoy it? I'm 25 and have traveled for the past four years, study, volunteer and working...unsure if its right for me. Thanks.
engel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: cruise ship Reply with quote

the best way to get a job if you don't know anyone is to apply to each of the individual cruise ship lines. if you're open about what you'll do and for how long, you're likely to score at least a seasonal job. which might not be a bad thing since committing to cruise ship work longterm might be a bit much. for someone who values there freedom, its a VERY rigid culture. also, check out my blog: engelangleinla.blogspot.com !!! maybe i'll talk about ship life!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey engel..i chkd out ur blog n liked the stuff uv written..esp the 1st article..fall in rome..gr8 job...keep it up...as far as ship jobs are concerned , u sed we shd apply to individual cruise companies...where can i get a list of these companies so i can apply individually...thnx for any help.
kml636

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: crusing Reply with quote

Has anyone on here actually worked on a cruise ship? I am going to try it but, there seems to be a lot of opinions about it from people that haven't done, it so I am looking for "the inside story". If you like people and can deal with sharing a room with 3 other people, is it worth it?

Thanks!
________
FERRARI CALIFORNIA SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by kml636 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
engel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: cruise work Reply with quote

i have done it. it's a very tough rigid life and the pay is rechid. it is a unique culture, but you do get payed to travel and that perk can't be beat. as for the companies, do a google search. NCL, Celebrity, Princess are a few.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/yourfav/yourfav_cruise.asp
hii guys...this is a categorised list of cruise lines ..do chk it out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: cruise Reply with quote

www.aboutcruises.org will give u detailed info

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I ramble a little, I'm falling asleep as I type......ONE THING TO THINK ABOUT: It might be best to go on a cruise before applying! I just took my first cruise this past week and learned I definitly could not spend weeks at a time on the same ship doing the same job everyday. My pilates instructor on the ship signed a contract to stay on the ship for at least 6 weeks before she was able to go back home which is a damn long time to be couped up on a ship (not sure if it was just a break or if the contract only lasted 6 weeks). They are not the most "homey" living conditions and could see it being very exhausting and hard to relax. If you do decide to interview, I know they look for people who REALLY want the job and therefore ALWAYS happy and cheerful to be working. Most workers are not working by tips, yet it is crucial all workers provide excellent customer service,. Recruiters will look for someone who is nice and happy to everyone and in all situations. Most of the workers I met were from the Phillipines and Russia and talked about their job as if it was the greatest opportunity given to them. Hopefully this all makes somewhat sense...BOTTOM LINE: dont think a college education will get you the job, they are looking at the personalities of applicatants, show them you are the type of person that can keep smiling and keep the attitude that "the customer is always right" when a snobby rich lady is sitted at your table and does nothing but complain and bitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: I Survived "Ship Life" Reply with quote

Apply directly to the cruise lines via their webpages. That is what I did, and how I ultimately landed a job. There is often an application to fill out, and they will contact you if they are interested in what they see based on your application.

After graduating college in May 05, I worked onboard a cruise ship as a Seasonal Youth Counselor. I worked a 4-month contract, and by that point I was ready to get back to 'real life.' "Ship Life" is not real life...it is an existence. You will often work 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for your contract. In my case, I worked every day for 4 solid months. Granted, I loved my job, because I was working with kids/people on a daily basis, and having fun doing it...I knew too many fellow crew members who were miserable working as waiters, room stewards (aka housekeepers), crewmessman, etc.

It takes A LOT of energy to keep up with the pace you go at every day. Remember, the passengers you encounter are on a vacation, having the 'time of their life', and they expect to see you as chipper and excited to be there as they are. They often forget that you have to keep that smile and extra bounce in your step fresh for every set of 2000+ new people you will meet and greet every week. It becomes challenging after a constant life of sleep deprivation!

Don't expect to have too much time to 'see the sights' yourself...you are not on a cruise...you are WORKING the cruise!

Contrary to popular belief...the pay is not good. Most positions pay minimum wage. A positive aspect of working in the cruise industry is you are basically 'financial-responsibility-free' so what you make, you are able to save. Room and board is taken care of for you...you won't have a car to worry about putting gas in, and on the ship I was on, laundry was free. Your daily staple meals are provided (granted, it is a crew mess hall...cafeteria style. This is no 'cruise ship buffet line' folks...we're talking your basic meat, rice, potatoes, and veggie for the night). If you do get the chance to get off ship for any length of time...be sure to treat yourself to a 'civilized meal' with the cash you're 'saving.'

Now that I'm 5 months out from returning to 'normal life' I am able to talk more positively about my experience. However, when I first returned, know that my opinions were not able to be held in such high regard. I was just so physically drained, and the interesting politics of "ship life" took a bit of a toll on me.

If you have questions/ want to hear more about my "adventures as a Youth Counselor", post a reply and I will do my best to get back to you wtih honest answers.

It's not always 'smooth sailing' working for a cruise line, but something to try to 'get your feet wet.'

P.S.- Working for a cruise line is great 'resume material.'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guest..its nice hearing about real experiences on board a cruish ship..i am planning to apply for a house keeping job since im a fresher with no real experience in another field...u said that housekeeping workers werent quite happy with their jobs...could you please elaborate?? i mean i would like to know how they spend their time, what their job is n how demanding it can be...i basically wanna do this cruise ship thng coz id like do something different and earn from it before entering grad school....but most importantly i wanna travel n see sumthing of the world..but then again u sed dat there isnt much time for employees to visit all places...id like to know if u thnk its wrth it (wanting to REALLY roam a part of the globe while workin on a cruise ship)...or do u thnk its better to wrk on land n save money n enjoy a trip to whichevr place i want to see...also where can i find the names and website for these cruiselines??? im not too familiar with the companies n would like a list of the companies along with their websites...i knw iv asked a whole lot of questions..n i can alwz search the net for answers but still i thnk ppl with first hand experience are best ppl to ask...im really lukin fwd to ur reply..thnx a ton for any help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: