The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

favorite summer jobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: favorite summer jobs? Reply with quote

Hello! Next summer I would like to work at a fun, seasonal job outdoors. Right now I am saving and dreaming. Does anybody have a favorite place to recommend? I was leaning toward Colorado or Alaska. I would love to hear back about great places you've worked at or heard of!

Thanks!!
From AK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: summer jobs Reply with quote

My hometown in Seward Alaska is a great place for summer jobs. Its a tourist town, so it comes alive in the summer. Its right on the coast and is surrounded by Kenai Fjords National Park. Outward Bound has a base there, there are Kayaking guide opportunities, National Park workers are based either at Exit Glacier (I used to be a ranger there) or out on the Ocean along the little islands and coastline. National Park Rangers also do interpretive scpells on whale watching (and seals, and puffins and dolphins etc) tourist boat tours. Seaview Community Center hires people for an summer outdoor program for troubled children (allot of day hikes, survival skills, games, etc...I had some friends work there- a rewarding, fun experiance but very challenging.) Many of the tourist jobs are related to the outdoors- dog sledding tours, cleaning fish in the harbor, or being a hand on a fishing boat, etc, etc. Wages are good, tips are good, and its the most beutiful place in the world in my eyes- infinite hiking opportunities, its surrounded by towering mountains. (it does rain allot, its a temperate rain forrest.) Its a small town, so you can get by on just a bike- but its about 2 hours from another town (or Taco Bell for that matter.) To get a sweeter job its best to start applying as early as April- but the work season doesnt realy start untill May, reaching a peak in July. I hope this is helpful.
Colleen - author

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: my vote for Colorado... Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just had the good fortune of spending 10 days at my Aunt's cabin out in Colorado. I had never spent much time in the mountains, and absolutely fell in love with it. I spent some time in Grand Lake, Brekenridge, and Steamboat Springs, and I was pleased to note how much seasonal employment there is. Between the small summer-home towns to the large ski towns, there's so much tourism and outdoor activity. Two of my close friends got jobs in retail and sales in Breck and Steamboat, and they are really happy out there. Obviously, there are less jobs in ski towns during the summer than during the winter, but they do exist, and keep in mind that housing is less expensive in the summer.

Best of luck,
Colleen
dk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Africa baby! Reply with quote

This last summer, I was a Team Leader with Global Expeditions. I, basically, led a team of teenagers to Botswana, Africa for two months!! We helped teach AIDS awareness courses in the public schools and went around to huts being friendly and helping in any way we could.

It rocked and I'd definitely do it again.

School stinks! At least I have summer....
grace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Global Expeditions... Reply with quote

Isn't Global Expeditions a Christian ministry-based program? Do you know of any other travel companies that are not religion based?
Rain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Mackinac, baby Reply with quote

I spent my four months of summer this year on Mackinac Island in MI, and it was a blast. I worked at Mission Point Resort, putting together amenities baskets and delivering them (I was the amenities dept), and it was totally rewarding. There was an amazing variety of people there - the resort in particular, and a lot of places on the island, recruit employees from all over the world, so there were Scots, Chileans, South Africans, Ukrainians and jillions of Jamaicans in addition to college students like me. Plus, it's a party spot - every night something happening! So I came away with a few thousand dollars, some great new friends and a ton of memories, and plan to return this summer. Definitely recommended!
Godsadventureroad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.coolworks.com has some really great summer job opportunities! Some of the jobs aren't the best but the people you will meet and the location you will be in make it unbeatable. I've worked for Yellowstone National Park, Youth Corp of Southern Arizona, Pine Point Lodge (a very small place between Voyager National Park and Boundy Water's). I would suggest any of them as well as many other jobs on there as I've met many people who have also found their jobs there.
ReallyFunRachel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: yes to coolworks Reply with quote

I also recommend that you check out coolworks. I worked at Deer Valley Ranch, a Christian dude ranch in Colorado, one summer and last summer in Grand Teton National Park. Both jobs I found on coolworks and they were the best summers of my life!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Delaying the Real World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: