The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index The Perseus Books Group Message Boards
Book discussion forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did JOHN beat up Stu Sutcliffe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Come Together @ Lennon Revealed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Did JOHN beat up Stu Sutcliffe? Reply with quote

Larry,
Saw you on Good Day L.A. 10/18. Nice job. Just curious about something I heard you say. Did John "beat up" Stu Sutcliffe causing the injuries that led to Stu's death? I'd never heard that before. It's not even portrayed that way in the film, Back Beat. He was accosted by "thugs" in that one. I believe John was there and tried to defend Stu. So, what's the truth?
Author - Larry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: RE: Did John Beat Up Stuart Sutcliffe? Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words - Pauline Sutcliffe, the sister, believes John's beating of Stu contributed to Stu's death. The beating happened when Stuart told John he was leaving the group.
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Lennon's Use of Drugs in the Final Years Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

Thanks, Larry, I'm a LaSalle College grad who's followed your career in Philadelphia and think that you're great too! I am so proud for you. I received your book for Christmas. What a treat for my holiday vacation to curl up by the Christmas tree and be mesmerized by the insightful vividness of your story!

Albert Goldman had reported in his book that Lennon had been using heroin in his final years. I can't be totally sure, because I refused to read his book. What do you think? I know John was quite thin in '80, smoked cigarettes too much (as did Yoko), but if John was a house husband baking bread and raising Sean, I'd be sad to learn that John was using such terrible drugs like heroin in 1979-1980. I'd like to think he'd gotten beyond that stuff by then.
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Gary's question Reply with quote

Gary:
You may recall that Goldman's "biography" was a cheap, sensational character assassination based on the "inside accounts" of disgruntled, low-life, fired Lennon employees. It is not to be taken at face value. In the late 1960s, John was seriously depressed, disillusioned with life, and in a tremendous amount of pain--hence his use of hallucinogenics and, eventually, heroin. He was not in any such a frame of mind in 1980. On the contrary, he was much more content with his life, perhaps as happy as he'd ever been, as his songs--always a good indicator of his emotional life--and the many interviews of that year can attest. Listen to "Starting Over" and "Beautiful Boy" and "Dear Yoko" and decide for yourself whether or not they sound like a depressed heroin addict.
Take heart, my friend, and have a happy 2006.
Peace and good wishes to all who read this.
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Frank, for your positive, intellectual, and upbeat response! It said "Yes!" to me! As I mentioned yesterday, I never read Goldman's book, and never will, but what rankled me was that a "friend" once quipped that he inwardly believed what Goldman was claiming, and that irritated me to no end. So, to Larry, Frank, and all of you who read this, let us remain committed (ha ha, John would have liked that one) to the reality of John and his life, and pass him down, generation to generation, the way we do lives such as Babe Ruth or Poe, because John was a great man, but in our collective eyes a most complicated (paradoxical?) man, so not hung up to expose and improve the human condition, thus making much of what he did in forty years so fascinating. Happy New Year to all of you and remember "War is over if you want it!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Did John Beat Up Stuart Sutcliffe? Reply with quote

Author - Larry wrote:
Pauline Sutcliffe, the sister, believes John's beating of Stu contributed to Stu's death. The beating happened when Stuart told John he was leaving the group.

Wasn't Pauline in another country when this allegedly happened? Also, it seems to me everyone (especially Stu) saw his leaving as inevitable. He wasn't in their league as a musician, and he felt a very strong pull in two other directions (art college, Astrid).

I hope Larry Kane didn't give this the shallow, whitewash treatment that everybody and everything got in his other Beatles book. "If you say so, Pauline...."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Perseus Books Group Message Boards Forum Index -> Come Together @ Lennon Revealed All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: